Thursday, March 28, 2013

Parenting

Sometimes Nick and I feel like we have absolutely no idea what we are doing when it comes to parenting.  It is such a new world to us especially as Noah grows into a toddler and we have new words enter into our vocabulary like tantrums, and discipline.  Sometimes I am scared of this role of parenting.  I start to get wrapped up in the idea that I don't want to screw up, and what if I don't do enough to show my boys who Jesus is.  Thank goodness I don't have to bear that burden.  I am so thankful that our Lord shows us and guides us how to do this when we ask him for help.  I can't imagine being a parent without relying on Christ.  Lately we have been opened up to more insight from many different parenting books.  I am so thankful for the wealth of knowledge out there when it comes to books.
We went overload on books from Amazon last night when we picked out these great reads:  The New Dare to Discipline by James Dobson, Raising a Modern Day Knight, Bringing up Boys and The Family Blessing.  More than anything else in parenting Nick and I desire that our boys grow to understand their need for our Rescuer and Savior Jesus Christ.  We pray that they come to desire to follow our Lord with all their heart.  As we raise them we pray that as we live out our days that we would live out the call in Deuteronomy 6: 4-9 which is our family verse.

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.

1 comment:

The Brick's said...

Raising children is the most difficult "ministry" the Lord has given us...well, next to marriage!!!
You and Nick are doing it RIGHT!! Continue to Trust the Lord in all things and He will continue to show you HIS ways!!
Proverbs 3:5-6.
you are ALL loved and prayed for!!